This document describes how to use the Emsisoft Management Console’s ‘Reports’ feature to view customizable real-time analytics and set up scheduled reports.
The level of control a user has over reports and report templates is determined by their role in the workspace.
- Protection Manager: Can view, create, edit, clone and delete reports. Cannot delete snapshots.
- Owner/Workspace Admin: Can do everything.
- Partners: Can’t do anything with reports unless they also have an active role in the workspace. Can create report templates at any time.
- Invited users: Can only view the report that they were invited for, and change the displayed period for that report. Can’t edit or see other reports. Can’t see any UI components of the workspace/MyEmsisoft unless they also have a role in that workspace.
Reports and snapshot reports can be configured to be accessible for third parties. In sharing settings, the following access options are available:
- All users of this workspace: Default option. Provides a static link to the report that users can copy and share, but only users who have a role in the current workspace can access the report after logging in. Includes users who are part of the partner account that manages the workspace in owner/admin or manager role (billing role is not enough). Users are also able to access the report via the Reports menu item in the workspace.
- Specific users: Provides a static link to the report that users can copy and share, but only users who have a role in the current workspace AND are selected in a user list can access the report after logging in. Partner accounts (even if they only have a billing role) can be added to that list too.
- Anyone with the link: Provides a static link to the report that users can copy and share with anyone. No Emsisoft user account is required. When viewing a report without being logged in, none of the MyEmsisoft UI elements are visible. Users can still print the report. Note: we advise against using this option as a link accidentally shared with the wrong person could result in the leak of internal protection data.
Reports are available within workspaces. A report is a configuration of settings for reporting based on actual live data in the system. Live reports can go as far back as data is available, which is dependent on the data retention time of the licensed product edition, as follows:
- Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home: 3 months.
- Emsisoft Business Security: 6 months.
- Emsisoft Enterprise Security: 12 months.
The Reports section shows all active reports in the workspace. Clicking a report opens the live report.
Each report tile provides information about the report, including:
- Name: User-defined name of the report.
- Sections: List of content sections that are part of the report.
- Scheduler: Simple scheduler summary. Invisible if no schedule is set.
- Recipients: Recipient summary. Invisible if no schedule is set.
- Template: The report template if the report is based on a partner template. Invisible if the report is not based on a partner template.
Each report tile also includes the following links:
- Edit: Opens the report in edit mode.
- Clone: Creates a copy of all report settings and opens that new report in edit mode. It adds a running number to the report name.
- Delete: Opens a popup where the user must confirm final deletion of the report.
To add a new report, click the grey ‘Create new report’ tile on the right, labelled with a large ‘+’. A popup with a list of available predefined reports will open. Partners can additionally select from their list of saved report templates.
Note: A snapshot is the saved state of a report at a specific point in time. Snapshots are generated either manually by a user or through a scheduled task in certain intervals and are not based on live data but on a static copy of data. When viewing Snapshots, the report period can’t be changed by the user. Snapshots remain available for a long time, independently of the data retention time.
The snapshots section lists all rendered reports that were either created manually by users via the ‘Save snapshot’ feature in the actual report panel, or by the scheduler.
The hamburger menu in each report includes the following options:
- Share: Opens a popup where you can access sharing settings.
- Delete: Opens a popup where you must confirm final deletion of the report snapshot.
The header bar provides quick access to information and functionality, including:
- Report name: The user-defined name of the report.
- Edit report: Click to enter edit mode. Invisible for snapshot reports and in view-only mode.
- Scheduled: Indicates that the report is configured to create snapshots at fixed intervals. Displays the scheduler details on hover. Invisible for snapshot reports and if there is no schedule.
- Template based: Indicates that the report is based on a partner template. Displays the partner template path on hover. Invisible if it’s not based on a partner template.
- Period selection: Dropdown box that allows users to change the start and end dates of a report, with shortcuts for: Last 24h, Last 7 days, Last 30 days, Last 180 days, Last 365 days. Dropdown box is replaced with a static label for snapshot reports and in view-only mode.
- Hamburger menu: Invisible for snapshot reports and in view-only mode. Menu options for:
- Print: Opens the browser’s print dialog.
- Share: Opens a popup where you can access sharing settings.
- Clone: Creates a copy of all report settings and opens the cloned report in edit mode.
- Save snapshot: Exports the current state of the report as dataset that shows up in the reports snapshots list.
- X: Closes the report and returns to the reports overview. Invisible in view-only mode.
Renders all content sections of the report in a professional format. If you have access to the workspace, certain elements of the report data are clickable links that lead to details of that data. For example, device names are shortcuts to device dashboards, policy names are shortcuts to the policy editor, etc.
In edit mode, the header bar extends to a much larger panel that includes the main configuration elements for reports, including:
- Name: Text box to enter a name for the report. The name must be unique within the workspace, with a maximum length of 50 characters.
- Template (Emsisoft partners only): Dropdown that lists all report templates of the partner account if you are a member of one or more partner accounts. If a partner template is selected, the report content is all read-only and no custom modifications that overwrite the template are possible. Replaced with a static label if you are not part of a partner account.
- Access: Opens a popup where you can access sharing settings.
- Link: Read-only text box that allows you to select and copy the complete URL. The ‘copy’ link copies the link to your clipboard.
- When: Dropdown box with options: End of week (Sat), End of week (Sun), End of month (default), End of year.
- Timezone: Dropdown box with time zone selector to make sure the included report period matches your actual time periods.
- How: Dropdown box with options: Email, Webhook.
- If ‘Email’ is selected: Recipients: Textbox to enter a comma separated list of email addresses where the report link is sent to.
- If ‘Webhook’ is selected: URL: Textbox to enter the webhook URL where the report link and a full json data blob is sent to.
Exits edit mode and switches to regular report view.
Content sections with specific settings
While most content sections don’t require any additional settings, some add extra functionality for customization.
Provides a high level overview of what was happening in the workspace during the selected period of time. Including license information, seat usage, issues, protection statistics, etc. This section is always visible and can’t be removed.
- Custom logo: You can add your own company logo at the left top of the section. The ‘Upload logo’ button opens a popup to upload an image file. Image dimensions need to be 200x100px and in a file format that can be processed (png, jpg, gif).
- Custom report title: The edit icon next to the centered report title opens a popup where you can change the title of the report.
Displays all protected devices.
- Custom columns: You can change the displayed columns of the devices list. Custom sorting and filters can be set as well. (coming soon!)
A chart that shows all infection events on all devices in the selected period.
- Custom charts: You can change the chart type from Bar chart to Line chart.
Infection details section
Lists all infections events of all devices in historical order. Includes threat details.
Lists all objects that were in quarantine on any devices in the workspace at any time within the selected period.
A timeline of all issues that were detected on any device in the workspace at any time within the selected period. Includes details on how they were resolved.
Two hierarchical lists of all protection and permission policies in the workspace. Includes the number of edits in each policy and the number of devices/users in that policy group.
A timeline of all deployment actions on any device in the workspace at any time within the selected period. Includes pending deployments and removed devices.
Audit log section
Displays the complete audit log of the workspace of the selected period.
Free text section
A simple section headline and label that you can fill with any text you want, e.g. explanations or disclaimers.
- Custom text: Headline and multiline free text box. HTML is not supported.
Add a report section
A special area with a dotted frame and a ‘+’ sign on the right side, which allows you to add new sections to the report. It includes the following options:
- Element: Dropdown box that contains all available report content sections. You can add one or more sections of each type, e.g. apply different filters to the devices list.
- Add: When clicking the ‘Add’ button, the section gets added and the ‘Add report section’ block moves down to the bottom of the panel.
Remove a report section
- All content sections except the ‘Summary’ section have a trash can icon at the right top that can be used to remove a section.
Report templates for partners
Report Templates are available in the ‘Partner’ section. Only Emsisoft partners can create report templates. Templates are data-less report structures without any further template, scheduler or sharing information. Templates are non-hierarchical and stored per partner account, not per partner user account.
The template editor panel shows all available templates. Each template tile provides information about the template, including:
- Name: User-defined name of the report.
- Sections: List of content sections that are part of the report. Sorted as in the report.
The editing header bar allows you to change the template name. Report sections can be added, removed and customized, e.g. to upload a partner logo or specify device list columns and filters.
The header bar also contains a dropdown box containing all workspaces in which you have admin/manager roles, and a ‘Preview’ button that switches from edit to preview mode. The preview uses the data of the selected workspace and the last 30 days as period.
Provides a preview of the template. When in preview mode, hamburger menu options for ‘Share’, ‘Clone’ and ‘Save snapshot’ are invisible.